Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Membership Has Its Privileges


A friend in LA was telling me about a really cool store called Rawesome around the corner from his house in Venice. When he said it sells only raw ingredients I wanted to hop in my car immediately and check it out. Sadly, it is only open Wednesdays and Saturdays at noon. I had to wait a whole week before going over there with Amanda to check it out. Naturally we were early and had to wait for it to open. As we did, we watched avid customers assembling with boxes and coolers stacked on their dollies.

Eventually the door opened and the frenzy began. We both loved the place at first sight. Rawesome gets around FDA regulations about selling raw milk, cream, butter, cheese, yogurt, and so forth by making the products in the store available to members only. We talked to James, one of the owners, about his fights with the FDA over all this but were interrupted when a farmer arrived to deliver the eggs and James trotted off.

As I went from cooler to cooler I was a little alarmed by the frenzy, the aggression, the slightly nutty desperation of the members in pursuit of their supplies. On the other hand, the ingredients were incredible and between us we spent a small fortune. Amanda, who was on the second day of 10 day fast,was in heaven over the fresh coconut water, honey, terramin clay, and these amazing halite salt crystals she loves. I got all the dairy I could hold. We both became members on the spot-- 25 dollars a year.

When I got home I tried the raw butter which I happen to love; it’s not as sweet and creamy as good French butter, but on some freshly toasted bread with sea salt it was amazing. The cream was great as was the milk and goat’s milk yogurt.

This is really one of the coolest food stores I’ve been to in a long time and I plan to make it a regular stop. Though they are very protective about press and attention, they welcome everyone who shares their passion and belief that raw ingredients are better for you. But you don’t have to be a raw food devotee to shop here. There’s something wonderful for everyone.

Rawesome
665 Rose Avenue
Venice, California 90291
310.452.2244
Opens at noon Wednesday’s and Saturday’s

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home