Thursday, January 11, 2007

Cut


While most people were probably starting their New Year by dieting, I was staring at a platter of American Wagyu and Japanese Wagyu beef from Kagoshima Prefecture brought to our table at CUT, Wolfang Puck’s new steakhouse in Los Angeles.

Cut is an ingenious creation, and when Wolfgang Puck gets it right, he really gets it right. The kitchen run by Ari Rosenson, chef de cuisine, and Lee Hefter, executive chef, brings the steakhouse to new heights.

I eventually decided to pass on the wagyu beef because I was trying to lighten up a little in the food department. I’m happy I did because the kitchen started sending us out some tastes: mini-wagyu hamburgers, maple glazed pork belly with a sesame-orange dressing, and Foie Gras pave to name a few. They were all delicious. I ordered a petit cut New York steak described as Nebraska Corn Fed, dry aged for 35 days and it was served perfectly medium rare. All the meats are cooked over hard wood and charcoal and finished under a 1200 degree broiler which is part of what makes this steak house great.

The meats come with sauces which I don’t think they need, but the sides dishes are great reinventions of some classics: tempura onion rings, celery root gratin, and my favorite, spinach topped with a poached egg.


The service was impeccable and one of my favorite things was our comfortable banquet. Too many restaurants have miserable seating which can ruin even the best the dining experience, but not here. The acoustics were great too.

I brought along a bottle of 1994 Rinaldi Barolo which went perfectly with the food, and we ordered some very interesting white wines which, unfortunately, I forgot to write down. The wine list was really well put together.

In short I thought everything was perfect and that the only thing missing was a least one selection of grass fed beef….

Can’t wait to go back.

Cut
At The Regent Beverly Wilshire
9500 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills
90212

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home