Friday, July 14, 2006

Pasanella and Son Vintners



If I were giving out awards for the most stylish looking wine store, the first prize would go to Pasanella and Son Vintners. Let's just start with the 1967 Ferrari parked in the center of the store with its trunk open to display a gorgeous abundance of rosé wines (see below). Need I say more?

This store is the creation of Marco Pasanella, his wife Rebecca, and Mary Taylor. They have brought a whole new dimension to the experience of buying wine. The store is across from the old Fulton Fish Market and Marco, Rebecca, and their son live upstairs. The back of the store is a private tasting room which they also rent out for private parties, and let me tell you I am already planning one.


Just a few of the wines that caught my eye: the Moschioni Refosco from Friuli, 2003 Bussola Valpolicella; a Grüner Veltliner from Weingut Hofer (prize for coolest bottle—see below); 2001 The Maiden, a Pinot Gris from St. Innocent; and a great Viognier from Francois Villard, the 2004 Contours Des Poncins, for $24.99.

The selection of wines and spirits is excellent, and the wines under $15 are impressive too. I bought a bottle of the rosé of Bulotto and it was delicious and was only $15.99. Gorgeous fruit with a nice dry crisp finish. Perfect for the steamy weather we are having in New York.
The only negative thing I can say about this store is it is too far from my apartment, but what the heck, I always like a field trip….

Pasanella and Son Vintners, 115 South Street, NYC 10038. 212.233.8383

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home