Friday, May 26, 2006

Stocking Up On Chocolate


I'm really not into desserts but if I do crave something sweet I like a piece of good chocolate. Whenever I'm in Paris I pick up a bar or two of my favorite chocolate from Bernachon, the genius chocolatier in Lyon. The only store that carries Bernachon chocolate in Paris is the eccentric shop of Denise Acabo in the 9th, L'Etoile d'Or. On my last visit Denise told me that she has been written up for having Bernachon chocolate in so many Japanese magazines that she now has to limit Japanese customers to two bars per person, otherwise her allocation from Bernachon would be gone in just a few days. Denise sells both their individual chocolates and an assortment of bars. I usually buy the sublime palets d'or, which are probably the most perfect pieces of chocolate in the world, plus an assortment of bars.

Also on this trip I discovered that Pierre Hermé, the innovative and influential Paris pastry chef, is selling a line of chocolates that come in very attractive packages. I picked up a few and they are unbelievably good. The ones filled with praline are extra light and there is a faint spice in the praline that I could not figure out. Each piece is the perfect size to satisfy whatever emotional need you need to satisfy.

L'Etoile d'Or, 30 rue Fontaine, 75009 Paris. 01.48.74.59.55.

Pierre Hermé, 72 rue Bonaparte, 75006 Paris.
May 26, 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home