Saturday, August 15, 2009

Road Trip

Last week I took a road trip driving North up the coast of California. Along the way I stopped by to visit with friends and stay the weekend in Bolinas, which is about an hour north of San Francisco. One afternoon as I was driving with my friend Fletcher to Point Reyes he pointed out all the wild fennel that was in full bloom all along the side of the road. It reminded him of a dish that the Chef Paul Bertolli had prepared for him that was the best thing he had ever eaten. It was a pork roast rubbed with Fennel Pollen, garlic, bay leaves, salt and pepper. That was all I needed to hear, I was so on it.

I went to find a patch that was off the road and harvested several bags of fennel to take back home with me. I then drove to Marin Sun Farms which an incredible local butcher who sells only grass fed meats. I bought a pork shoulder roast to take back with me to LA. There is nothing more exciting to me than foraging ingredients for a meal.

I'm going to make the dish this weekend and will post the results. Can't wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home